7.10.2005

neighborhood #1

it feels as if a trillion years have passed since i last posted. i live in cincinnati now. my life in columbus feels like it belonged to someone else - a pre-oprah show tom cruiseesque type of person.

time out for a 'i'm going to share what i'm actually thinking about right now' moment: for some reason i'm really missing my brother's stupid voices right now. especially the "champion!!!" one. i wish i could turn them into emoticons. i hate the word emoticons so much that i cant stop myself from using it. i have a personal resolution to slip it into my conversations with myself at least once a day. its like vocab workshop all over again. [end of emoticon filled moment.]

anyway, i thought i would hate being back in cincinnati. for the past few yrs i was convinced that there was nothing left for me to do here except to maybe finally learn how to pedal backwards on an elliptical machine for 50 minutes. i seriously thought that if i came back to cincinnati i would develop some insane form of early alzheimers. when i actually did move back home in may, my obnoxiousness hardcore thapred me in the face. reverberation style. i guess i had to move back to actually realize that i dont know anything about this city. i dont even recognize my own street anymore (in a good non-alzheimers kind of way).

being dead wrong has almost always been good for me - especially when it reminds me that if my existence was truly dependent upon my own self awareness, i would probably be swimming in a toilet bowl in topeka, kansas right now. amen for not really being in the driver's seat. and while i'm at it, another amen for the constant comfort of knowing that even if though i might have to endure being stuck in traffic on montgomery road for 473849328498329 minutes, at least i get to read the montgomery baptist church's cheesy quote of the week every time i pass by it. even my demented brain wouldnt be able to put jesus and seat belts together in the same sentence without the help of that road sign. geniusness. i think i might actually learn to love this city.

i think my problem was that in wanting to absorb all i could about everything and everywhere else, i never took the opportunity to really know my own home as an adult. i completely forgot about the way the afternoon sunlight completely changes the colors and sounds in my house. you dont have the time to notice the good stuff on crazy hectic weekend trips. and after 3 yrs of law school, actually having the time to obsess over books is like sleeping in birthday cake. i also forgot what an amazing sanctuary eden park can be. that park has definitely been its own character in my life. im learning that theres ways to connect with old friends that go beyond rehashing all the times that we got kicked out of masjid class. i love so many people here. i cant believe i let myself forget that.


so heres a partial list for my what i did on my summer vaction essay (since this ugly blog entry isnt embarrassing enough already):

1. i forget what happened on memorial day weekend but i remember i had an amazing weekend. oh yeah, we went to mt adams and i tried to convince t$ that she should forget the bar and move in with me instead. i was rejected. i hate lawyers.

2. i fixed our old birdfeeder and got all nerded out about birdseed. i sat in meijer's for 2 hours and read every book on bird food that they had. evil fat squirrels attacked my beautiful birdfeeder. birdfeeder broke. :( so i got a new squirrel-proof birdfeeder and i also made this awesome hummingbird feeder. evil fat squirrels DEsquirrel-proofed new birdfeeder and then broke my hummingbird feeder too. just for fun. :( i tried to squirrel-proof my birdfeeder again. evil fat squirrels broke the branch of the tree it sits on. i put it on a different branch. evil fat squirrels broke that branch too. evil fat squirrels win. for now.

3. i love mono even more now bc i found out that he is is deathly afraid of evil fat squirrels that de squirrel-proof squirrel-proof birdfeeders.

4. researching the warpedness of capital punishment does not reaffirm your faith in humanity. but it has made me remember why i used to want to marry jd salinger. if hes senile, i still might do that. it could work.

5. i need to stop reading everything except what im supposed to be reading. i need to write my proposal. i need to get to the point where im no longer procastinating thinking about writing it but im just procastinating actually writing it. theres a big difference.

6. anytime i hear someone say "ill do my level best" i fall in love again. such an ugly saying. i love british people. t$, i'm so jealous.

7. i got new books. happiness.

8. i have a crush on the old man who works at the costco gas station off fields ertel. you all should check him out. we can co-crush. hes so cool that even i can share.

9. sumbul and the big A's engagement was beautiful. i love them both together so much. if i had known that my sumbulina was going to get engaged to assad a long time ago, i probably wouldnt have minded being smushed into the bus window by nabeel and him every single morning in kindergarten as much.

10. koko, saima, shabeena, and i made up a dance for rashida's mehndi. ahahaha. good times.

11. july 4th weekend was such a blur with rashida's wedding and appna/houston all in one weekend. i cant believe it was only a little over a week ago. i had stick straight hair for an entire weekend!!!!!!!!!! i cant get over it. lina, my hair wants to marry you too now. my mom wants you to become her daughter instead. our salon is waiting. i had such an amazing weekend with all my girls. i love you guys. come back. please.

193. seema did a spur of the moment cincy trip this weekend. i suck at poker. puker. we all went to kings island last night. i love cincy mozlems. no one else understands amusement parks the way we do. and even though i practically lived at kings island when i was younger, i fiiiiiiiiiinally got a stupid kings island picture of all of us for the first time.

195. planning saima's booty shaking bridal shower

196. im substitute teaching masjid sunday school. senior girls level III & jr girls level II. my only definitive conclusion after my first day of class today, im going to home school my kids in a rain forest in new zealand. someone please remind me when the time comes.

201. my goals for the future: actually watching at least one of the movies we say we're going to watch when we hang out, adopt a kid, learn how to fence

THE END. [now no one can complain that i dont update my ugly blog. this should last for the next 7 months to a year.]

champion!!!!!!!!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

the fields ertel costco gas station guy once yelled at me because I was filling up the car while talking on the phone and I spilled gas everywhere.

1:53 AM  
Blogger lululee said...

ohhh i love you!!!! just for updating me on life... i want to marry your hair too!!

10:13 AM  
Blogger natasha1313 said...

i'm so jealous, you have an appna laptop case!!! how bout we trade, fencing lessons from me for the laptop case.

1:20 PM  
Blogger wanderer said...

thapred! that is one word i am going to use in vocab workshop. actually i love it so much that i think i will use it on each and every bar essay. the graders will be so awed (and confused) that they will pass me right quick. samari, you make me want to move back to cincy (well almost, but not really). i know the costco guy, he is so friendly (well except to rubi who spills gas). i will do my level best to find a british hottie for you! ;)

2:20 PM  
Blogger koko said...

FINALLY; an entry. samaria- his summer would be DREADFUL if u weren't here for me...u seriously are a lifesaver. and i'm glad you've realized you don't really know cinci; i realized that too. i like hiding out in random places. there's a lot of exploring to do in this town. and there are a few cool ppl here...note the word 'few'...it's limited. ;) but it's not as bad as i remembered in high school. newayz, u just drove into my driveway; i'll finish this later. i just gotta find this costco guy.

6:57 PM  
Blogger LaLa2000 said...

I heart samar. but i dont think im well adjusted enough to appreciate cinci for more than a month....

12:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home